Displaced Homemakers

A woman who, after managing a household for years, is forced by financial necessity to find a wage-paying job. This blog is intended for the women who feel that their lives have been hit by a tornado, their tomorrows may experience a hurricane and their nights are sleepless. This blog is for the women who need to rebuild their lives, no matter the age and no matter the circumstance and for the women who needs to find resources, gather support to feel that they are not alone.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Staying Motivated in Fitness


Susan Brannon
25 July 2011
How to Stay Motivated with your Fitness.

I know it is not easy to get up and exercise, or run outside in the rain or on a windy day.  It is difficult to not want to come home from work and watch a good TV program.  However, I did write some articles on exercising indoors for those really blaugh days. (see links at the end of this article)

Many people stop because they get bored.  But here are some ideas to keep you going.

1)    Remember why you started in the first place, when you quit you are only cheating yourself.  You are worth more than that!  If you keep stopping, then you get that inner nagging voice, oh, I’ll start tomorrow or I wish that I just had the energy and can loose some weight.  Nothing will happen if you don’t do anything.
2)  Remember that you will really feel much much better when you DO do something!

Try these different ways to help:
1)    Set a goal.  Start with something that you can reach, a short term goal.  Be real about your goal setting.  For example, say, I will exercise three times a week for 20 minutes for the next week!  Take one step at a time.  Then you can say, great!  I did it!  Now, say, I will exercise for 30 minutes three times next week!  Sooner or later, it will become a part of your life routine.  Then you can say, Next week, I will do Yoga once and exercise two times.  Make it different, you do not have to do the same thing all of the time.
2)      Make it fun!  Remember to involve your family.  While you are walking count how many people you see in their cars picking their nose for example.  Watch for different things each time.
3)    Don’t use excuses.  This time of the day, is your time.  Find that time that is good for you to have “your time”  It is both good for your physical health as well as your mental health.  One thing I always like to do is to pray while I walk.  Sometimes I walk to the nearby store to buy eggs, but at least I am walking!  If someone else is walking while I am praying, I stop, pass by and start again so they will not think that I am crazy.
4)  Maybe it will help to make a quick note to yourself and put it on the bathroom mirror.  I still have one that says, do squats, drink water, stop drinking coke.  I slowly work on one thing at a time.  Now, these things have become a habit.  I squat while I brush my teeth.  I drink more water each day, and I forgot all about coke.
5)  Grab a neighbor to join you, or a friend if you have a child taking lessons on a Saturday morning, or during soccer practice.

Related Articles:
How to do Squats the Right Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment