Displaced Homemakers

A woman who, after managing a household for years, is forced by financial necessity to find a wage-paying job. This blog is intended for the women who feel that their lives have been hit by a tornado, their tomorrows may experience a hurricane and their nights are sleepless. This blog is for the women who need to rebuild their lives, no matter the age and no matter the circumstance and for the women who needs to find resources, gather support to feel that they are not alone.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding Grants for Displaced Homemakers

Susan Brannon
9 January 2012

One of the things that you should do if you find that you become a displace homemaker, is to search for programs that help to provide assistance.  Assistance comes in many forms: job training, funding for education, assistance for day care, house payments, utilities, or food.  The money that is funneled into the programs is called grant money, provided specifically to help displaced homemakers or women who are unemployed and can use some training.
These grants are different in each state and it will be important for you to find what may be available in your state.  I have listed some programs by state at the end of this article, if your state is not listed, I advise you to contact the Labor Department in your state, Unemployment department, Commission for Women, or search in Google, "Your state assistance for displaced homemakers"  You will have read through the introductions in Google, to know which links to click on, so you may find programs and contacts.  This is very time consuming, but well worth your time and it is important to get moving on these steps right away!

Searching and applying for grants can be time consuming, but be persistent and patient if you succeed in finding the funding that you need to help you to move forward in your life, these steps will be very important.

Here are some steps to help in finding that grant:

First, you must decide what type of help you need.  You may need education, help with your monthly bills while in school, assistance to help pay for day care. Once you figure that out, then you will have a better idea, where to look and what exactly to ask for. (Note: Read the section on Development, Career, Testing it provides helpful suggestions to help you walk through this process) 

Second, give a call to the unemployment office in your area ask this specific question, "Do you know of any programs that help displaced homemakers to get back on their feet?" and make an appointment.  I understand that the times are difficult and jobs are scarce, but they should have resources available and the knowledge of paid internships and training for people who need to develop job skills.

Third, decide what type of career (look at the career page) you would want to venture into, think about your current skills, your past employment and your talents.  At the bottom of this entry, are some links for more guidance in this step.

Fourth, Your area should have a family center, call them and make an appointment.  They will have tons of resources as to colleges and vocational schools that have programs for assistance to attend school and day care.

Fifth, There are different federal grants that you may qualify for in order to return to college.  Pell Grant offers students between $400 and $5,350 per semester, depending on eligibility.  To apply you must file a application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.  There is a Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant designed to assist students with great financial need.  It awards up to $4,000 per grant each semester.  If you decide to go to college, your financial aid department can assist you with this before filling out your financial aid form.  You must ask to apply for a Pell Grant.  Remember that!

Sixth, there are some states that provide assistance with various guidelines that you must fall in.  This assistance is becoming harder to come by because of our current economical crisis and will take some work to locate what they are and how to apply for them. I have provided as many links to resources in different states that I could find:

State resource links and information:

Illinois Department of Labor
160 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 1300
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 793-3644
Fax: (312) 793-5257
The displaced homemakers program listed was for 2007, please call or write to see if there is anything available anylonger.
link for programs by city with contact information:
ISTEP for displaced homemakers
Phone: 412-281-9270
1-866-PAWOMEN (toll free)
1-866-729-6636 (toll free)
Fax: 412-281-9279
New York
Brooklyn:  Good Shepard Services:  A job career program for displaced homemakers
Department of Labor
New JerseyDisplaced Homemakers Network
MinnesotaServices for Homemakers
Montana: Program
Michigan: Program: Lansing, Michigan 48913
Telephone: (517) 335-5858
Utahlegal code and publication
Florida: Program
New MexicoWomen's Commission
Career One Stop
Oklahoma: Tulsa Tec
Maryland: Programs 
Delware: Code
North Dakota: Program
Washingtongovernment site
Texas: Labor Code
Connecticut:  Labor Law
North Carolina: Labor Management, Emergency

Financial Aid for StudentsProgram descriptions for Older Students
Scholarship Advice:

Career Research:
Career Mapping Free career mapping on monster.com showing you the "normal" pathways to get where you want to go, with links to current jobs, and stats on the job trend. 
Personality Page - Excellent site for matching your personality with careers and it is Free!
BLS Gov Occupational Outlook Handbook A government site where you can search for careers and read on the lifestyles, earnings, education and experience needs for the job. Highly recommended for discovering your career.
OOH Search Occupational Outlook Handbook search bar
Discovering your VocationThis is the first of several step by step articles

No comments:

Post a Comment